NORD-STAR research questions and framework
The combination of three thematic issues of relevance to stakeholders with two methodological research approaches gives rise to six projects which form a matrix making visible the six cross-cutting research areas in NORD-STAR.
The three ‘vertical’ columns represent issue areas of land-use change, energy transitions, and insurance and finance.
The two ‘horizontal’ columns develop and utilise approaches to analyse needs and opportunities for strategic adaptation. Approach 1 develops and applies scientific visualisation and modelling tools, whilst Approach 2 conducts policy analysis to explore institutional aspects of adaptation.
The six cross-cutting project areas that combine thematic areas with the methodological approaches, fostering collaborative interdisciplinary research amongst the NORD-STAR partners, are the following to date:
- Project 1 Interactive land-use modelling, visualisation and decision support
- Project 2 Land-use trade-offs affecting adaptive capacity
- Project 3 Energy transition modelling
- Project 4 Energy transition management
- Project 5 ICT based decision support on multiple levels
- Project 6 Appraising adaptation policy
Collectively, the projects and cross-cutting research areas address the overarching research questions of NORD-STAR:
- What constitutes a strategic approach to addressing the dual challenge of adapting sustainably to the inevitable impacts of climate change and the unintended consequences of climate policy?
- How can dialogue and innovation best be used to advance adaptation strategies in the Nordic region?
The answers to these questions contribute to the goal of NORD-STAR: to enable Nordic stakeholders to design and implement successful adaptation policy and practice.
NORD-STAR Science Implementation Plan 2011 - 2015
The implementation plan of the Science Domain for the period 2011–2015 presents the overarching research philosophy and approach of NORD-STAR, and outlines the activities planned in the above projects and the respective sub-projects.
The Science Implementation Plan can be downloaded in the Attachments section below.